Microdermabrasion At Home
Interested in learning about microdermabrasion at home? You aren’t alone. The “instant facelift” promise behind this process has generated a great deal of buzz. It has been popular in Hollywood for a while now, and that popularity has only continued to spread. There is no end to the number of salons and similar establishments that are currently offering microdermabrasion treatments. It would seem as though the benefits of microdermabrasion are well worth taking seriously.
The Popularity Of Microdermabrasion Treatments
Ultimately, for many people, the problem comes down to those high salon prices. One of these sessions can indeed set you back. One of the potential downsides to microdermabrasion would have to be the cost, as well as the fact that you need to partake in multiple sessions. However, this is where the subject of microdermabrasion at home becomes appealing. Yes, it is indeed possible. There are just a few simple things you need to keep in mind.
For those who are just learning about it, let’s go over some of the things to keep in mind with this popular new skincare option.
What Is Microdermabrasion?
Professional treatments can run you anywhere from $75-$200. Because you need to do multiple sessions to maintain the benefits, you could wind up spending as much as $1500 for six months of microdermabrasion treatments.
The process itself is extraordinary, in terms of what it accomplishes. It is also fairly straightforward. Using a specialized machine, a microdermabrasion treatment will involve removing dead skin cells while simultaneously exfoliating your skin. Think of the treatment itself as a more intensive version of traditional treatments that focus on exfoliating the skin. While aggressively (but painlessly) removing your dead skin skills, the treatment also works at promoting good circulation. This compels the skin to work at repairing itself on every possible level. The end result is skin that looks smoother and younger.
Let’s break down the benefits of microdermabrasion, which certainly extends to how to perform microdermabrasion at home treatments for yourself.
What Are The Benefits Of Microdermabrasion At Home?
Keep in mind that when we talk about these benefits, they apply to both professional treatments, as well as doing them in the comfort of your own home. To that end, it is important to start your home microdermabrasion treatments on the right foot.
Here are some of the most impressive microdermabrasion benefits to consider:
• This is one of the deepest exfoliation treatments you are ever going to come across.
• These treatments have been proven to remove the rough patches all across your skin.
• These treatments are also noted for leaving your skin with a decidedly polished look.
• Those who want to even their skin tone can very keenly benefit from everything microdermabrasion has to offer.
• Looking for a way to deal with blackheads, acne, and other undesirable blemishes? This could be the skin care treatment you have been looking for!
• Microdermabrasion at home can not only help to smooth out your wrinkles, but it can go deeper to remove the depth of those wrinkles, as well.
• In short order, your skin is going to look more youthful and radiant than it has in quite some time.
• The end result will be skin that looks strong, young, and vibrant in every possible way.
• These sessions are non-surgical, which is why you can do them with ease in the comfort of a salon, or better yet, in the comfort of your own home. These are deep treatments, to be sure, but by no means are they abrasive or intrusive. That’s another reason why people are raving about them.
At this point, it should be easy to understand why so many people are trying these treatments for themselves. Again, as we mentioned, the costs behind professional sessions can quickly become more than any reasonable person can handle. You can offset this by spending a little time and research in the present on learning about the ins and outs of doing it at home.
In terms of doing home microdermabrasion treatments, the first thing you will ultimately need to do is purchase a microdermabrasion machine.
Getting Started With Microdermabrasion At Home
Microdermabrasion at home pretty much starts when you get your machine. Yes, you will have to spend a little bit to get this machine. However, the short-term costs are dramatically outweighed by the long-term savings. In fact, buying the machine yourself is generally about the same as a single treatment, depending on where you go.
There are a number of machines on the market. All of them can be broken down into two main categories. You have crystal microdermabrasion machines, and then you have diamond microdermabrasion machines. Knowing which one is right for you is going to involve understanding the differences between them. Appreciating these differences is key, as there is no such thing as a machine that is going to work for every single person.
Diamond Microdermabrasion Machines Or Crystal Microdermabrasion Machines
The differences between these machines are pretty simple, when taken as a whole. Nonetheless, they should be explored in greater detail.
Crystal microdermabrasion machines are made up of pumps, vacuums, connecting tubes, and hand pieces. The pump will be responsible for releasing an ongoing flow of crystals that are in fact completely inert. These crystals work at scrubbing the skin, while your vacuum works at pumping your dead skin cells out, along with the crystals. Keep in mind that these crystals are made from sodium bicarbonate, magnesium oxide, and other ingredients. It is a fairly popular option for those eager to benefit from microdermabrasion at home treatments.
Diamond microdermabrasion machines have some notable differences. Micro-crystals are not going to be used in the process. Rather, you will utilize a handheld device that featured a roughened tip at the surface of the machine. Since it doesn’t use those crystals, you can use the machine to work on more sensitive parts of your face. This can include not only the skin around your eyes, but the skin around your lips, as well. These areas are very difficult to work with when using a crystal microdermabrasion machine.
So, which one is going to be your best bet? Obviously, at the end of the day, you need to compare and contrast the different products available within each choice. At the same time, keep in mind that many people seem to prefer the diamond machines. A big reason for that involves diamond machines working without the use of those micro-crystals. The end result is a machine that can be used comfortably and safely across any part of your face.
In the end, the choice is yours to make.
Am I An Ideal Candidate For Microdermabrasion At Home?
The best candidate for a microdermabrasion at home treatment will be a healthy man or woman with minor skin issues. While these machines can make some impressive, even dramatic improvements to the health and appearance of your skin, it is still important to take a realistic approach to the results you are going to experience. Clogged pores, uneven pigmentations, acne/blackheads, and even minor scarring/age spots are all good examples of skin issues that can be addressed with microdermabrasion.
If you have active keloids/warts on your skin, a microdermabrasion machine should not be used on those specific areas. Pregnant women should wait until they have given birth, before starting microdermabrasion treatments.
A good way to supplement your treatments is with good general skincare practices. These can include good sleeping/eating habits, staying hydrated, paying attention to the products you put on your skin, and minimizing your exposure to UV rays.
Most dermatologists suggest waiting approximately two weeks between treatments.
Now, we can finally delve into a step-by-step breakdown of undergoing a microdermabrasion at home treatment.
A Guide To Microdermabrasion At Home
Any microdermabrasion machine you purchase should include instructions. Follow those instructions to the letter! At the same time, it can be helpful to understand what the process is going to entail.
Despite the differences between crystal machines and diamond machines we highlighted above, any machine you purchase will likely involve the following steps:
• Start by cleansing your skin. What you will need is a gentle product, both oil and fragrance-free. Harsh cleaners can leave your skin overly sensitive to the microdermabrasion process.
• Make sure your face has been dried completely with a clean towel. A clean, dry face is essential for the machine to work properly.
• Turning on your machine, use your free hand to gently tighten one area of your skin. Using an upwards circular motion to rotate the device along the area, you will want to do a couple of passes over said area.
• This process should be repeated across all skin surfaces you are treating. This includes anywhere on your face or neck, but there are other potential treatment areas you may want to address.
• Once the procedure has been completed, you can set about the skincare regimen you already have for yourself. This can include using the oil, lotion, or cream of your choice. Regardless of what you choose to use, make sure you are also working with a good toner. This is essential for restoring the healthy pH levels of your skin.
• Some of the areas you’ve treated might be a little on the red side. While we wouldn’t call this a downside to using a microdermabrasion at home treatment, you can offset this by making sure to completely moisturize your skin. This should be your final step. Hydrating your skin properly is something that should always be kept in mind. Remember that there are a number of things you can do to enhance the overall effectiveness of your session.
Those are the basic steps involved. At this point, you have all of the basics necessary to enjoy everything one of these machines will have to offer. Purchasing a specific machine will likely be your biggest challenge. We would suggest doing as much research as possible on the various products to you. Pay attention to such factors as the integrity/reputation of the manufacturer, as well as reviews of the device itself.
How To Find The Best Moisturizer For Your Skin
Irritation and sensitivity, as well as a certain amount of reddening of the skin, are all common side effects of microdermabrasion at home. While these symptoms may sound counterproductive to the benefits of the treatments, you can easily offset these problems with a good moisturizer. We touched on this earlier, but it is certainly worth mentioning again in greater detail.
In order to promote a comprehensive healing process for your skin, look for something that is both fragrance-free and non-comedogenic. You want something with as few irritants to your skin as possible. Otherwise, you won’t enjoy the full skincare benefits of microdermabrasion. Remember that non-comedogenic means it isn’t going to clog up your pores, which is certainly not something you want.
Any moisturizer products that also contain UV/sun protection is going to be your best bet.
With so many kits, machines, and at-home treatment options, the only real benefit to going to a salon or similar establishment is the convenience. To be sure, there will always be something appealing about simply leaving everything up to a professional. You will still more or less enjoy the exact same benefits as you would with microdermabrasion at home treatments.
Yet that convenience comes with a rather obnoxious price tag. As we mentioned before, these treatments must be ongoing, in order to maintain the initial benefits. Six months can wind up costing you $1500, and that just doesn’t strike us as reasonable. Particularly since machines are so affordable these days. Furthermore, these machines also benefit from being incredibly easy to use, as well. Keep in mind the steps we illustrated above, but naturally read over the directions that will be included with the machine you purchase. Regardless of what you decide to buy, you will find the machine to be incredibly straightforward.
Best of all? These microdermabrasion home treatments are not time-consuming in the least. With a little care and attention, you can improve your skin to a fantastic degree.